You had us at Sticky Date Pudding
Thanks to the recent announcement of a La Nina weather pattern this year in Australia, some o our plans for red hot summer will look a little more like a wet hot summer. You’d be forgiven if you start craving things a little more warm and comforting like our friends in the northern hemisphere this time of year. Sticky Date Pudding, Sticky Toffee Pudding, no matter the name there’s no debating that it’s an overwhelming favourite. We know how beloved this classic is, which is why it took us a few attempts to settle on this version, because if it's not good enough, it's not reaching this page!
A pillowy, moist sponge with creamy butterscotch sauce drizzled over and slathering into every sweet bite. Dates are an absolute centre piece of this recipe like the name suggests and we paired this perfectly with our Shroom Brew Super Latte. This latte blend already includes date powder inside for the natural sweetness, but also gives this pudding extra flavour complexity owing to its delicious coffee like notes. It’s subtle, it won’t take this to tiramisu levels of coffee flavour, but it's delightfully there.
This recipe will require some blending to achieve a smooth consistency for both the sauce and pudding mix. We used a stick blender but if you don’t have one you can use a regular blender or food processor. Speaking about the sauce, we know how the butterscotch sauce is what really seals the deal to make this the ultimate crowd pleaser, so if you like your pudding more on the ‘drowning-in-sauce’ side then we’d suggest to double the recipe.
VEGAN STICKY DATE PUDDING
GLUTEN FREE - PLANT BASED - DAIRY FREE
PREP + MAKE TIME: 1 hour 25 Minutes
1 cup oat milk
¾ cup soft pitted dates, chopped
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
½ cup nut butter
½ cup soft brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup self-raising flour (GF)
¼ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
- In a pot over medium heat, melt together the sugar, vanilla, coconut cream & oat milk with the chopped dates. Simmer till dates are soft and sauce thickens for at least 8-12 minutes.
- Leave to cool a little then blitz the sauce with a stick blender. Alternatively, transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend so dates get more pureed and thickens. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Combine the dates and oat milk in a pot over low-medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the dates are soft. Using a stick blender blitz until all dates have been pureed. Stir in the bicarb, vanilla and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the nut butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the date/oat milk mixture, and blend well.
- Evenly sift in the flour, salt, Shroom Brew Super Latte and spices. Mix to make a wet dough and make sure no lumps of raw flour.
- Thoroughly grease 6 muffin moulds and 1/2 fill with the dough mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the sponge is set and golden.
- Cool a little on a wire rack before removing the mould. Pierce with a fork and pour over sauce while both are still warm.