Smooth, creamy, and herby fresh! Cream cheese is always a treat, whether it's part of your platter line up alongside seed crackers and crudites or just a regular partner to your toast in the morning. This vegan cream cheese recipe is unapologetically savoury, and full of good-for-you ingredients! The result is UNREAL.
This recipe requires soaked cashews - essential to help achieve a smooth and thick texture. If you're in a jam, you can 'express' soak them for two hours with boiling water however we've found for the best creamiest cream cheese, soaking the cashews overnight is best.
VEGAN HERB CREAM CHEESE
GLUTEN FREE - DAIRY FREE
SERVES: 1 large entertaining serve
PREP + MAKE TIME: 1 hr (excl. soak time)
2 cups raw cashews
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
3 tbsp finely diced firm tofu
1/4 cup diced capsicum
1 large lemon, zested
1 tsp lemon juice
130ml plant based milk
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp + 2 tbsp mixed fresh herbs (thyme, flat leaf parsley, chives)
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover container and set aside to soak for at least 2 hours if you are in a rush.
- Once cashews have been soaked, drain thoroughly and put in food processor with tofu.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, Better Cheddar, fresh herbs, capsicum, lemon zest, lemon juice, milk and olive oil.
- Process until thick, creamy and smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed. Adjust seasonings if required.
- Place a fine mesh strainer or a large mixing bowl with least 2 layers of cheesecloth or cling wrap on top and scoop cheese mixture over the cloth. Make sure the excess moisture has been removed so it forms well.
- Gather the corners and twist the top gently to form the cheese into a ball. Secure with a rubber band and put in the bowl into a disc shape.
- Place in refrigerator to set for at least 5 hours or freezer for at least 1 1/2 hours for a speedy result.
- To serve, unwrap from cheesecloth/cling wrap and carefully place onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs and a bit more lemon zest (optional).
- Enjoy chilled with crackers or vegetables!