The sort of classic recipe that's down to please everyone! We're introducing you to this saucy, hearty, comforting Vegan Shepherd's Pie recipe for your winter nights. Not to mention, Shepherd's Pie makes incredible leftovers, the kind made all the better while wearing pyjama's and slippers.
Extremely flavourful doesn't just cut it in our books though. If it's a recipe from us then you know we're sneaking in some nourishing nutrition into it. We've gone ahead and made our mash layer with potato and white bean to add extra fibre and added our Wild Fields Mushroom Broth powder into the savoury vegan mince mixture for added umami, protection and gut support.
If you're not really a fan of vegan mince or don't have access to one at your local shops then you could absolutely substitute it with lentils! The flavours will translate just as good so no need to worry.
Be sure to tag us in your Vegan Shepherd's Pie pics (bonus points for extra cosy, feet-up-in-fluffy-socks vibes) @KnowrishWell and hashtag #KnowrishWell so we can show you some serious love. x Knowrish Well
VEGAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
DAIRY FREE - GLUTEN FREE - FIBRE - PROTEIN
For the Filling3 cloves crushed garlic
1 medium size onion finely chopped
½ cup diced carrot
¼ cup diced celery
¼ cup diced red capsicum
5 big brown mushrooms finely chopped
1 packet (220-250gm) plant based mince
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp tamari sauce
2 cups tomato pasta stir through sauce / passata
1 tbsp Knowrish Well Wild fields Mushroom Broth powder
½ tsp either oregano or dried basil
¼ tsp sweet paprika ( optional)
Salt and pepper to taste (can add a little chilli flakes if you like spice)
For the Mash
5 large white potatoes
1 ½ can white beans
2 tbsp of nut butter
3 tbsp plant based milk
2-3 tsp Knowrish Well Better Cheddar vegan cheese powder
Salt & pepper to taste
- Halve the potatoes and boil in a pot until soft and cooked then set aside. You can have the potatoes peeled or leave the skin but make sure it has been cleaned and washed properly.
- In a pan under medium heat, put the olive oil and when hot enough, add in all the vegetables and saute for 3 minutes.
- Combine the sauces and herbs. If too dry add ¼ cup water.
- Lastly add the Wild Fields mushroom broth powder, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside while you prepare the mash.
- Combine all the mash ingredients in a food processor until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add extra 2-3 tbsp of plant based milk.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare the baking dish to use for the pie.
- Spread evenly the mince filling in the pie dish then add the mash on top. You can use a fork to create ridges or pipe the mash on top.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes and grill for an extra 5 minutes to brown the top.
- Carefully remove from oven and serve immediately while hot. Enjoy!