Our super simple DIY vegan bubble tea recipe using Knowrish Well Super Lattes! Continuing the of giving our Super Latte's a fun twist, today we take you through how to make a healthy, delicious bubble tea (or should they be bubble lattes?) at home.
For those who may not know what they are, Bubble tea or sometimes referred to as Boba tea, is a sweetened tea-based cold drink originating from Taiwan available in a bunch of flavours and toppings. There are two types of bases, brewed tea or milk tea. While we love both equally, today we'll be making the milky based variety as they team perfectly with the signature chewy tapioca pearls which are a bubble tea classic.
Bubble tea became hugely popular in Australia in the early 2000s and you can virtually find one in any shopping centre or high street in city centres. The problem is, most bubble tea shops and chains don't carry plant based milks so whenever we get a craving we tend to have to bury them deep. For this homemade recipe though we used a coconut and almond milk mix for a 'creamy', thicker base however any plant based milk will work fine. Bubble teas are usually sweetened so we made a liquid sweetener to go with them but if you're happy to skip on the sugar then ignore this part of the recipe.
SUPER LATTE BUBBLE TEA
VEGAN - GLUTEN FREE
MAKE TIME: 25 min
1 cup dried black tapioca pearls (quick cooking type)
6 cups water
1 ½ cup rice malt syrup
1 tsp Vanilla bean extract
½ cup hot water
1 tsp Knowrish Well Super Latte (works with any flavour)
3 tbsp. warm water
700 mL almond coconut milk
Cooking Tapioca Pearls
- Boil 6 cups water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil
- Put the black tapioca pearls in the boiling water. Stir gently until floating to the top of the water. This will cook for 3 minutes. The tapioca pearls goes larger when cooked
- Turn off heat, remove pan and leave for 1 minute in pan then drain with running cold water to stop from cooking further. Put in container and store in fridge while preparing other ingredients.
Making the syrup
In a separate container prepare the syrup by adding hot water into the rice malt syrup and stirring it well. Add the vanilla bean extract and continue to stir until well blended. Set to cool then refrigerate while making the milk base.
Making the base
Combine 1 tsp Latte with 2 tbsp. warm water and mix well to completely dissolve powder. Add milk and mix to combine.
Putting it together
- Scoop 2-3 tbsp. of black tapioca pearls in a tall glass
- In a shaker, add desired amount of sweetener with milk base
- Put 1-2 ice cube and quickly shake till cold
- Pour this into the glass with tapioca pearls and add 1-2 more ice if desired. Repeat for each serve.