We hear you, "what IS Adobo?". Inspired by our filipino heritage we recreated Adobo, which is traditionally a dish made with pork marinated in a mix of soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic until tender and flavoursome. Instead of pork we recreated this classic with pull-apart jackfruit for all the Knowrish Well fam to enjoy in a delicious Mexi-Filipino fusion dish!
Here's why we LOVE this dish so much:
- It tastes ridiculously good
- Super filling with tonnes of fibre thanks to the quinoa & black beans
- Nails a variety of textures with crunch added from the coconut chips and creaminess thanks to fresh guacamole
- Balanced, nourishing and totally customisable
- Did we mention how delicious this is?!
Last year we took an amazing trip to the Philippines and fell in love with so many of the flavours in the staple dishes they cook. We knew Adobo was something that was crying out to be made into a vegan friendly option and with the help of jackfruit which has a similar pull apart texture to pork we've made it a reality. Aside from the jackfruit, this dish is pretty straight forward to put together - boil your quinoa, mash your avocados, grill your corn/capsicum/mushrooms/any vegetables you like and wash your fresh leafy greens. Then give a generous sprinkle of maple bacon coconut chips for a smokey taste and crunch that'll help drive that Mexican element home.
The final step is the vegan friendly adobo jackfruit and mushroom which will have a salty and slightly sour flavour. Because 'adobo' is named more or less due to the cooking technique/marinade involved in the preparation, you could adobo anything. We used tinned jackfruit but if you can't find any at your local shops you could definitely adobo tofu or vegetables like eggplant that would really soak up the marinade and go tender.
Get excited over the magic that is adobo and if you try the recipe be sure to tag us @knowrishwell #knowrishwell on Instagram. We'd love to see how you made this recipe yours!
ADOBO BURRITO BOWL
VEGAN - GLUTEN FREE - DAIRY FREE
MAKES: 1-2 SERVES
MAKE TIME: 30 min
1 can jackfruit (brine or water)
3 big brown field mushroom, cubed
1/3 cup maple bacon coconut chips
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 ¼ tsp tapioca starch
3 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp tamari sauce
3-4 dried bay leaves
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
¼ cup water
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
Capsicum, corn, grilled
- Drain and rinse jack fruit
- Mix all liquid Adobo ingredients into a pan and add the jackfruit
- Let simmer then add mushroom and diced maple bacon coconut chips
- Remove jackfruit and mushroom from the pan once tender and when liquid has been reduced to ¾ amount in pan
- Sprinkle brown sugar and reduce the remaining the liquid in the pan
- Coat the reduced marinade over the jackfruit/mushroom mixture and serve up with any choice of your optional add ins to make the bowl healthy & complete!