Oriental Cauliflower 'Wings'
Converting meat dishes into vegan friendly versions can definitely be challenging, especially if mock meats just aren't your thing. Let's be honest, sometimes mock meat freaks us out (we still can't get our heads around mock fish!). Our advice: take some creative culinary licence and figure out a wholesome veggie version.
These Oriental Cauliflower 'Wings' do exactly that: tender, tasty, and full of zingy flavour with the help of our Turmeric, Lime & Ginger Coconut Chips. They're not weirdly textured but still completely vegan and gluten free.
To top it all off, an oriental inspired dipping sauce which is sweetened with some maple syrup to balance the flavours out. You could easily add some Sriracha too if you want a bit more heat with your wings for an even more authentic experience.
ORIENTAL CAULIFLOWER 'WINGS'
GLUTEN FREE - VEGAN
PREP TIME: 30 min
BAKE TIME: 20 min
1 Small Cauliflower
½ cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, sifted
½ cup + 1 tbsp. Almond Milk
¼ tsp. Sea Salt
½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
¼ tsp. Cayenne Powder
½ cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
3 tbsp. Maple Syrup
2 tbsp. Gluten Free Tamari Sauce
¼ tsp. Ginger Powder
¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 190⁰C.
- Cut cauliflower in medium rosettes and give them a rinse. Make sure you pad them dry, since the batter won’t stick to the cauliflower when wet.
- Make batter by whisking together all batter ingredients, EXCEPT for coconut chips and bread crumbs.
- Crush coconut chips in a bowl with a spoon, or with mortar and pestle until small and combine with bread crumbs.
- Dip cauliflower in batter, then roll in coconut chip mixture and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake battered and crumbed rosettes for about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- In the meantime, make sauce by combining all ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve cauliflower hot and with dipping sauce.