With the popularity of souvlaki and gyros, as well as their well-received Greek salads, the Greek diet has undoubtedly influenced western food for the better. Just like olives, tzatziki and moussaka, feta cheese is a mainstay for Greek meals and has become a definite hit in contemporary cooking. Traditionally produced from sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep's and goat's milk, feta cheese is a Greek gem that we simply can’t get enough of!
Since lockdowns have become so commonplace that they’re practically the new norm, people have turned to home cooking using healthy and nutritious options. And as feta cheese is considered one of the healthier cheese choices, this really is it’s time to shine! For plant-based eaters determined not to miss out, we have ~veganized~ this Greek staple to help you conquer your love of cheese minus the moo!
This delicious recipe is simple and only made better by our Better Cheddar. This vegan cheese alternative has transformed this ancient food into something utterly irresistible. It’s wholesome, nutritious, and protein-packed without dairy, what more could you possibly want?! So good with salads, appetizers, and other Mediterranean dishes, you'll be surprised just how easy it is to create a block of tofu into remarkably versatile vegan feta. A guaranteed love at first bite.
BETTER CHEDDAR TOFU FETA
DAIRY FREE - GLUTEN FREE
MAKE TIME: 35 minutes
½ pack firm tofu
1 ¼ cup olive oil
2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
3 tsp Apple cider vinegar
½ tsp Himalayan salt ( or as desired)
1 ¼ tbsp Knowrish Well Better Cheddar
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
A handful of thyme sprigs
1 ¼ tsp sugar
- Drain any excess liquid from the block of tofu
- Wrap with several layers of paper towels and lay on a flat dish
- Weigh it down with a heavy chopping board or cookbook for at least 15-20 minutes
- Cut into small bite cubes and put in a jar or container
- Combine all marinade ingredients into a bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Pour the marinade in the tofu jar and let it sit in the fridge overnight to soak in the flavors.
- This is now ready to eat.
- Let the tofu marinate for at least 12 hours and the longer it is, the better the flavor is absorbed.
- make sure that you use the firm or extra firm tofu as the soft tofu will easily crumble
- Pressing the tofu removes water from the tofu, making the texture firmer
- Store in the fridge for up to 4-5 days but don’t put in the freezer
- Can mix half olive oil and half vegetable oil if you find olive oil is too strong