Get into the spirit of Halloween the healthy way with these jack-o’-lantern inspired Spooky Stuffed Capsicums. Filled with unami goodness and supercharged with our Better Cheddar, these cheesy parcels are the perfect spooky dinner that everyone will jack-o’-love!
vegan & gluten-free
Prep /Make Time: 50 minutes
WHAT I NEED
- 4 capsicums (our faves to use are orange, red and yellow)
- 25g pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp Knowrish Well Better Cheddar
- 1 small zucchini , chopped into small pieces
- 200g cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- zest of 1 lemon
- bunch basil , chopped
- Cut the tops off the capsicums (keeping the tops to one side) and remove the seeds and any white flesh from inside. Use a sharp knife to carve spooky faces into the side of each capsicum. Chop any offcuts into small pieces and set aside.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan for a few mins until golden, and set aside. Heat the oil in the pan, and heat the oven to 180C. Cook the onion in the oil until softened. Stir in the garlic, capsicum offcuts and zucchini and cook for another 10 mins, until the veggies are soft. Add a splash of water if the pan looks dry. Season with salt, pepper and Better Cheddar.
- Add in your grain of choice and pesto. Stir for a minute or two to warm through, then remove from the heat and add the lemon zest, basil and toasted pine nuts.
- Fill each capsicum with the mixture. Replace the lids, using toothpicks to secure them in place, and put the capsicums in a deep roasting tray.. Cover with foil and bake for 35 mins, uncovered for the final 10.