Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse
Scrap all plans for Christmas dessert, because this silky smooth number takes the cake (yes, we did just go there).
This sensation has everything going for it, equal parts chocolatey and creamy with a hint of texture and saltiness. Vegan, dairy-free, gluten free, what is there not to love about this simple chocolate mousse recipe.
Let us just assure you that in our quest to make a vegan mousse at the top of the list was the all important two: taste and texture. Mousse is just not something that can be half-good, you know what we mean? Its either good or its not good, and when its not good there’s just no escaping it. So when we were creating this recipe we knew it was do or die. But friends, do is just what we did because this mousse is pure magic. All with just five ingredients. Yep, a five ingredient recipe with ingredients so genius and simple you kind of wonder how we didn’t get to making this sooner.
The secret to getting that perfect mousse texture lies in the aquafaba (aka that liquid in your can of chickpeas that you drain out). Traditionally eggs and sugar are beaten and used to create the velvety fluffy texture but friends aquafaba works just as good! Once the aquafaba is beaten you’ll need to fold it in so not to lose the air bubbles. Once folded in you’re on the home stretch! Plus since you used the aquafaba, you now have a perfectly good can of chickpeas to do what you will.
As for toppings, we honestly love the simplicity of having the mousse with a crunchy addition by way of sea salt caramel coconut chips. The hint of saltiness balances out the whole dish and ahem, do we really need a reason to love salted caramel and chocolate together? If you wanted though, you could also add some peanut butter or fresh banana. It’s reassuring to know this Christmas you can have a clean dessert that won’t take a zillion years or tears to perfect. This will be particularly important when you want to whip up a second batch (which you inevitably will).
DECADENT AQUAFABA CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
GLUTEN FREE - VEGAN - DAIRY FREE
PREP TIME: 20 mins
SET TIME: 30 mins
Liquid of 1 can of Unsalted Chickpeas (this is the Aquafaba)
1 cup vegan chocolate
2 tbsp rice malt syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp sea salt caramel coconut chips
- Melt chocolate together with rice malt syrup and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- While chocolate mixture is cooling down, whip the Aquafaba with a hand mixer until white peaks form and is light and fluffy.
- Very carefully fold in, bit by bit, the Aquafaba into the melted chocolate mixture (this is to prevent air bubbles from escaping). Continue until all Aquafaba is used.
- Pour mixture in three jars or bowls and let set in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Last but not least, sprinkle sea salt caramel coconut chips on top and enjoy!