When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemon Bars
Not everyone favours the overly sweet when it comes to desserts. Some of us prefer the tart side of the flavour spectrum. Lemon bars are a perfect example. Though still satisfyingly sweet, these bright yellow bars offer a refreshing tang to revitalise your senses and leave you wanting more.
A good lemon bar needs to have a crisp shortbread base and silky lemon curd. We’re pretty certain we’ve nailed these elements using, as always, completely gluten-free and vegan ingredients such as coconut cream and our Golden State Super Latte. What’s unique about this recipe is we actually added pineapple as well for a more tropical take on this baking classic.
Be sure to top them off with a generous layer of icing sugar for the most mouth-watering, creamy lemon bars that’ll shower you in citrus kisses and transport you to lemon heaven.
Tag us in your zesty pics so we can see how you got on @KnowrishWell #KnowrishWell. Love and lemons, Knowrish Well Xx
FOR THE BASE:
1 ½ cup of gluten free flour
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ cup coconut oil (softened but not melted)
½ cup soy/almond milk
FOR THE LEMON CURD:
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup sugar
¼ cup corn starch
2 Tbsp lemon zest
½ tsp lemon extract
¼ tsp salt
½ Tbsp Golden State Powder
¼ cup crushed pineapple
¾ cup coconut cream
Extras: powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly oil a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan.
- Make the base by stirring together the flour, sugar and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. Add the coconut oil and cut it in using a pastry cutter or a fork, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the milk to form a dough, continuing to stir or mix with your hands until it’s nice and uniform.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Place it into the oven and bake just until the edges begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- While the base bakes, make the curd. Place the the lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon extract, salt, and turmeric (if using) into a small saucepan. Whisk until uniformly combined. Place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the coconut cream. Continue to whisk the mixture constantly as it heats up. The mixture should thicken up quickly once it gets to a simmer. Cook about 1 minute more, continuing to whisk vigorously, then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Once the base comes out of the oven, pour the lemon mixture over it, and smooth it out into an even layer. Return the pan to the oven and bake about 15 minutes longer. You should see a few bubbles forming in the curd by this time.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer it to a cooling rack to cool. The curd will continue to set as it cools. Once it has cooled completely and the curd has set, slice into 16 bars.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.