We Love These Donuts Very Matcha And We Think You Will Too
What do you get when you cross the healthiest powder in the world with the naughtiest treat in existence? Only the best darn delight you’ve ever tried. These matcha donuts balance taste and nutrition beautifully to offer you a dessert you can actually feel good about. And if you haven’t noticed, these doughnut are green. Like, all the way through. How cool is that?!
Since this recipe calls for almond meal, it goes without saying the texture of these donuts will vary from the regular kind but that certainly doesn't mean they’ll be any less delicious. Almond meal is quite literally raw, pulverised almonds with the skins intact, so expect the final product to have a more coarse consistency.
If you can restrain yourself from immediately eating these doughy babies after glazing them (which would be a highly commendable effort in our books), an extra step would be to sprinkle some edible flowers over top for a deliciously rustic feel that’ll make your donuts look as sweet as they taste.
And for those who love tradition, we suggest pairing these treats with a steaming cup of Shroom Brew for that classic ‘coffee’ and doughnut experience.
If you want to give these a try, donut forget to tag us @knowrishwell #knowrishwell so we can see how you got on. Happy baking! Xx Knowrish Well
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 2/3 cup gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking power (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 teaspoon Mystic Matcha Super Latte powder to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Mystic Matcha Super Latte powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave.
- Once melted, add the milk to the same bowl along with the vinegar, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and ground almonds
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and matcha green tea powder
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry
- Transfer mixture to the greased donut tin
- Bake in oven for around 10 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Melt the coconut oil in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water or a microwave
- Mix in the maple syrup and matcha green tea powder
- Once out of the oven, remove the donuts from the baking tin and place on a wire rack
- Dip them into the glaze one by one and place back on the wire rack to cool