Umami Magic Black Rice Mushroom Soup
If you’ve been following us for a while, you’re likely well aware of our major mushroom obsession. If not for their rustic beauty or earthy taste (a key player in our Shroom Brew coffee alternative), we adore these fun little guys for the impressive list of wellness benefits they behold. So when we created this Black Rice Mushroom Soup, which features both our NEW Wildfields Mushroom Broth PLUS a lovely little assortment of the deal, you can bet we were in complete and utter mushroom heaven.
Featuring the likes of creamy coconut milk, nutty-tasting black rice (super fancy, we know) and a sprinkling of our mouth-watering Better Cheddar cheese powder, this dish has all the elements to provide you with the most magical umami experience possible. And the best part? It’ll love your body too!
Make it for yourself on a quiet night in or blow your guests away with its whimsy and wonder. A soup so wonderfully warming and perfect for a little extra immune support, we cannot think of a single reason why you shouldn’t make it, like, immediately.
Make time: 5 min prep 55 min total
Makes: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup black rice
- 4 cups mushrooms, diced (I used a mix of white button, brown mushroom, & Shitake)
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic (about 1 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 cups Mushroom Broth ( I start with 5 tbsp of powder and added 4 cups of boiling water and mixed it and set aside)
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup better cheddar cheese powder
- Chop & prep the vegetables. Slice the mushrooms thinly (removing the bottom of the stems if desired) and finely dice the onions.
- Next, add the vegan butter to a large soup pot and turn on the heat. Once the butter has melted, add in the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Then, sauté for 15 minutes until the onions & mushrooms are beginning to crisp up and brown. Make sure to stir constantly to evenly cook the vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, season with a mix of parsley, salt, and pepper. Then, add the already made mushroom broth, better cheddar powder, black rice, and coconut milk to the pot with the vegetables. Stir to mix together.
- Bring the pot of soup to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- At the 20 minute mark remove the soup lid, stir the soup, and cook the soup uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through. (Please note, if you are using a rice other than black rice, cooking time will vary, so check if it is done at the 20 minute mark).
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken. Finally, serve and enjoy!
- Soup can be stored as leftovers in a closed container in the fridge. Any leftovers will thicken substantially as the rice will absorb the liquid, so add in extra mushroom broth for a soup-like consistency when eating leftovers.
Sip it, slurp it and share it with us on social @KnowrishWell #KnowrishWell as we always love seeing your pretty pics. Xx Knowrish Well